[Fwd: MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Drivers)]

Sol Finkelman (solthesage@geniepub.com)
Sun, 08 Nov 1998 19:17:58 -0500

--------------71AF02EC917DB2A111C55BE5

I think this is important enough for me to forward it.

--------------71AF02EC917DB2A111C55BE5

From: "Bob Vogt" <bobnev@napanet.net>
To: "Chuck" <cepnapa@napanet.net>
Subject: MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Drivers)
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 1998 08:00:55 -0800

[.. Must get serious sometimes.]

DEATH OF AN INNOCENT

I went to a party, Mom, I remembered what you said.
You told me not to drink, Mom, so I drank soda instead

I really felt proud inside, Mom, the way you said I would.
I didn't drink and drive, Mom, even though the others said I should.

I know I did the right thing, Mom, I know you are always right.
Now the party is finally ending, Mom, as everyone is driving out of sight.

As I got into my car, Mom, I knew I'd get home in one piece.
Because of the way you raised me, so responsible and sweet.

I started to drive away, Mom, but as I pulled out into the road,
the other car didn't see me, Mom, and hit me like a load.

As I lay there on the pavement, Mom, I hear the policeman say,
the other guy is drunk, Mom, and now I'm the one who will pay.

I'm lying here dying, Mom..  I wish you'd get here soon.
How could this happen to me, Mom?  My life just burst like a balloon.

There is blood all around me, Mom, and most of it is mine.
I hear the medic say, Mom, I'll die in a short time.

I just wanted to tell you, Mom, I swear I didn't drink.
It was the others, Mom.  The others didn't think.

He was probably at the same party as I.
The only difference is, he drank and I will die.

Why do people drink, Mom?  It can ruin your whole life.
I'm feeling sharp pains now.  Pains just like a knife.

The guy who hit me is walking, Mom, and I don't think it's fair.
I'm lying here dying and all he can do is stare.

Tell my brother not to cry, Mom.  Tell Daddy to be brave.
And when I go to heaven, Mom, put "Daddy's Girl" on my grave

Someone should have told him, Mom, not to drink and drive.
If only they had told him, Mom, I would still be alive.

My breath is getting shorter, Mom.  I'm becoming very scared.
Please don't cry for me, Mom.  When I needed you, you were always there.

I have one last question, Mom, before I say good bye.
I didn't drink and drive, so why am I the one to die?

Someone took the effort to write this poem.  Please, forward this to as
many people as you can.  Let's see if we can get a chain going around
the world that will make people understand that drinking and driving
don't mix.

TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE, so please forward this
letter to as many people as you can.

--------------71AF02EC917DB2A111C55BE5--

Home | Information | Poetry | Ordering | Publishing | Poem of the Day | E-mail

gaynsol@geniepub.com